Before I tell you about some of the most effective creativity boosters that haven’t been mentioned in the previous posts about creativity strategies and methods, I’ll let you in on a secret. Do you still think that coming up with new ideas and innovative thoughts is too hard for you? Does creativity seem something unreachable? Nonsense!
Creativity is not some kind of unique spiritual energy possessed by the chosen ones. If you want to improve your creativity you’ll need just a few characteristics of creative people – one of them being the ability to steal artistically and shamelessly. I’m sure you know that some of the most outstanding inventors were good at combining existing creations to ‘invent’ something new.
If you steal something and use it right away without bothering to even look into it, you’re a copycat. If you steal remarkable ideas and combine it with other brilliant innovations, you’re an artist. Plain stealing implies trying to pass someone else’s invention as your own. Artistic stealing is borrowing ideas that resonate with your audience and transforming them into your own unique creative expression.
Have you ever read Austin Kleon’s ‘Steal Like an Artist’? As a writer and artist he knows that creativity is everywhere, it is for everyone who wants to actually see it and make the most of it. In his book Mr. Kleon writes about the ten things he wished someone had told him when he was just beginning to pursue his creative endeavors. You can read about these ten creativity secrets and learn how to steal like an artist here.
If you want to discover your own unique path, embrace new experiences, collect lots of ideas, combine them and re-imagine them in your own creative way. An artist is a collector who is only interested in things he/she is passionate about. So steal like a passionate artist, be daring in your imagination and don’t forget to use the creativity boosters below.
Along with the creativity techniques described in the previous posts, these innovative thinking boosters will encourage you to set your creativity free:
- Study your subject. If you want to enhance your creative thinking skills within a particular area, become an expert in your field of interest. Practice makes perfect, so, say, if you want to be a writer, write on a daily basis, even if it’s just about your pet.
- Meditate. If you let your mind find inner calm and peace, your ideas will flourish with creativity.
- Have faith in your skills and be persistent. Remember that you can have whatever you desire if you put your mind to it. If you want to be more creative, you can achieve if with the right mindset.
- Do your best to avoid distractions. You can turn on inspirational music (Mozart’s compositions are said to be a powerful creative thinking booster), but turn off the TV. Concentrate.
- Don’t let too much freedom inhibit your creativity. If you’re stuck for an idea, add certain restrictions to your thinking. Randomly pick a word in a dictionary and try to come up with ideas based on this word. By making your brain overcome restrictions, you train your creative thinking skills.
- Practice free association. Think of five different ways to combine two separate elements in order to come up with new ideas. For example, a pen and a piano; a writer and a dancer; a spaceship and a stone etc. This technique will boost your creativity if practiced on a regular basis.
And finally, visualize your success. Make it look bright and clear in your imagination. Incorporate all of your senses, feel the scent of your creative powers, taste the fruit of your artistic stealing, imagine that you’re about to touch your ultimate goal. The German writer Goethe said, “We are shaped and fashioned by what we love”. If you love what you’re creating, you’re going to be a success.
How do you like this food for thought? If you find it inspiring, make sure you eat it up with blueberries which are considered to be the yummiest creativity boosters. Blueberries are rich in anti-oxidants and are very good for your ability to think fast and creative. They increase your brain power and enhance your creativity. They also strengthen your eyesight – motivation for more reading!