Now that you’ve chosen the best foundation for your skin, it’s time to discuss the best ways to apply it. There are 3 main methods of applying foundation: brushes, sponges and fingers. You should know that there is no right or wrong way of applying foundation. It’s about your personal preference and the type of foundation you use.
If using fingers for applying foundation works best for you and you get a good result, then that’s the best way to apply foundation for you. A lot of professional makeup artists recommend using brushes and fingers to apply foundation. Sponges get dirty very quickly and take a lot of washing.
You have to wash your brushes as well, but sponges also tend to stain which, according to a lot of talented makeup professionals, doesn’t feel very good on skin. However, if you prefer sponges, it’s ok. Just make sure you wash them often enough to get rid of all the water, oil and bacteria previously absorbed by it.
Before you apply your foundation: prep your skin well
How you prepare your skin before applying foundation depends on your skin type. If you have dry facial skin, you will need to moisturize it before you apply foundation. On the other hand, you don’t want to overload your face with tons of cream and thick layers of foundation.
Apply a thin layer of cream (primer), massage it into your skin and switch to foundation. Then apply a thin layer of foundation and blend it into the skin very well. This way, your foundation will last best. Using a lot of skincare products when prepping your skin for makeup shortens the life of your foundation.
We recommend using a light cream before applying your foundation, something like the Bioderma Pore Refiner. This cream works great as a primer for an oily T-zone. Apply a thin layer of it around the center of your face to help the foundation to smooth on the face and prevent oily breakthrough.
How to apply foundation flawlessly
- start applying your foundation around the center of your face: this is where the majority of people need the most foundation
- make sure you thin out the layer of your foundation as you go towards your hairline or the edge of your face: this will help you make everything totally seamless and flawless
- using your fingers or the clean kabuki style brush can help you blend your foundation and thin out its layer near your hairline and jawline
- you don’t have to apply your foundation on your entire face
- you don’t want your foundation to stick in the eyebrows: that’s a big makeup faux pas
- your foundation will look better if you build it up slowly and thoroughly: you can always go back and add more foundation to the areas where you need it; but if you put too much on at the beginning, it’s going to be very hard to take it down without completely destroying the base
Learning how to apply foundation to look flawless
We’re sure you’re happy to know that there are no hard and fast rules for applying foundation. We’ve given you a few tips on how to apply foundation to look flawless and beautiful. However, it is entirely up to you whether to make the most of them or not.
If you like using brushes best, you definitely know the look of classic foundation brushes (see the picture below). They come in different shapes and sizes. We recommend that you use the ones that are not too big, especially if you have a small face.
If the foundation is very thin and watery (the one that needs a good shake before application), it’s best to use fingers to apply it. This type of foundation goes so well with fingers. Applying the liquid foundation with fingers allows you to smooth it out perfectly.